The Browsing Tool enables the user to investigate the structure of the FRAME Architecture at every level of detail, and to obtain the description of each and every element within it.
The FRAME Architecture is a large product with many thousands of elements. In addition, the Data Flow Diagrams have had to be organised in an hierarchical manner so that they are understandable. In order to provide a unified front end to the architecture a FRAME Browsing Tool has been creates that permits all the elements of the FRAME Architecture, and their interrelationships, to be viewed interactively using a standard HTML viewer. Thus, for example, it is possible to follow the passage of data from its collection by a particular functionality, through fusion and processing, to its eventual use in providing a service for the end users.
Download 9MB (zip file)
The FRAME Browsing Tool has been designed to use ActiveX and therefore only runs in Internet Explorer (IE). The FRAME Browsing Tool can be launched by the following files:
- IE8: use “HomePage_V8.html”
- IE9 (or later): use “HomePage_V9+.html”
Please “allow blocked content” if requested. Once again, other browsers do not provide full functionality for the FRAME Browsing Tool.
If you have any problems downloading this file please contact info(at)frame-online.net
Using the Browsing Tool
In addition to all the normal browsing features:
- Note that there are two sets of lists available from the top window:
– GENERAL : Acronym Definitions and General Definitions;
– QUERY : Data Flows, Data Store, DFDs, Functions, Functional Area, Terminator, User Needs
- The Functional Viewpoint of the FRAME Architecture is hierarchical, and there are two principal ways of navigating the structure:
– Using the tree in the left hand window;
– When a high-level function in a Data Flow Diagram (DFD) is selected, the DFD for the next level down is displayed.
- All the elements (rectangles, cylinders and lines) in a DFD are active:
– If the cursor hovers over them for short time, the corresponding description appears for a few seconds;
– If they are selected the corresponding full description page is displayed.
- To print a DFD, right click on the diagram and “print picture”.