Welcome to the Home Page of the European Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS) Framework Architecture, often now known as The FRAME Architecture. It was created to provide a minimum stable framework necessary for the deployment of integrated and inter-operable ITS within the European Union. See Background for more information on its history.
The FRAME Architecture comprises the top level requirements and functionality, or the Use Cases, for almost all the ITS applications and services that have been considered for implementation somewhere in the European Union. It is at a “level” such that it can be used as a reference by all ITS architects, and is intended to be the foundation for building the other types of architecture that will be necessary. It will enable them to guarantee compliance at the interfaces of other systems so that seamless services can be provided to cross-border travellers, and an open European market of compatible components can be established.
FRAME – the FRamework Architecture Made for Europe
The FRAME Architecture is not intended to be used in its entirety, instead users select the applications and services that they want for their Nation, Region, City, etc. and create a sub-set that conforms to their requirements. Using the FRAME Architecture to do this has two big advantages:
- Most of the work has already been done, and there are FREE Tools available from this website to help you do the rest.
- If adjacent authorities both have ITS Architectures based on FRAME then it is easy to identify commonalities so that common services can be integrated to provide inter-operability.
Note: The FRAME Architecture does NOT provide detailed designs for equipment. It only describes what is required and not how to make it. It has already been used by a number of Nations, Regions, Cities and Projects
What kind of information do you want to find out about the FRAME Architecture?
- Non-technical – Please see What is an ITS Architecture or Why do you need an ITS Architecture
- The FRAME Architecture and the ITS Action Plan
- The Business and Technical Cases for, and examples of, the use of the FRAME Architecture can be found here
- Technical – What kind of technical information are you looking for?
- The FRAME Architecture itself
- Articles on topics related to the FRAME Architecture – Please see Detailed information
- An answer to a specific question – Please see FAQs
- In depth information about the FRAME Architecture – Please look in the Library
- Seminars and/or Training